Skip to main content

Tear Aid FAQ

I need to repair a torn seam of a plastic window in my camper trailer. Should I use type A or B tape?

To repair clears on your camper trailer you will need Type A which is suitable for most materials. Tear Aid is available in both kits and rolls. 

I need the Type A Tear Aid ASAP. Live in Adelaide. Where can I find a distributor?

You can find a list of registered Tear Aid Australia Agents here.

Can I use a roll of Type A on my tent to patch fabric and some holes in the floor of tent?

Yes, you can use Type A on any fabric except PVC and Vinyl. Type B is only to be used on polyvinyl chloride (PVC) materials as PVC is a thermoplastic made of 57% chlorine (derived from industrial grade salt) and 43% carbon (derived from oil or gas via ethylene). It is the chlorine that gives PVC its excellent fire resistance.

We have a jumping castle where the tag that holds the internal divider has broken and the divider has torn the stitching, including some material, from the main frame leaving a hole approximately 8cm long x 0.6cm wide. Would your product hold this together?

Assuming the jumping castle is either made from PVC or Vinyl, you would use Type B as it is specifically made for PVC and Vinyl repairs. Tear Aid is a permanent repair solution on damaged flat surfaces, but, as you mentioned internal dividers and stitching (which will require very careful attention if the repair is to last), please send us images of the damage as placement is vitally important as Tear Aid cannot be removed once you commence the repair.

I am trying to buy Tear Aid Underwater Kit. Are there any stockists in Melbourne? Or can I buy online?

There is no ‘Tear Aid Underwater Kit’ – that is a term used by some suppliers in the US for marketing purposes. There are only two (2) types of Tear Aid – Type A and Type B. Type B can be applied to a wet surface; however, for optimal results, it is highly recommended that you apply it to a dry surface. Type A must always be applied to a dry surface. You may order via our corporate website at TearAid Our products can only be purchased from registered Tear Aid Australia Distributors, you can find a list of them here.

I want to become a Tear Aid Australia Distributor. How do I do that?

Through the distribution of Tear Aid, we encourage the repair of finished goods to extend their usefulness and promote the vision of a circular economy. Thank you for your interest. Please submit your details here.

I am hoping you can give me advice on which of your products I would need to purchase to repair my outdoor blinds. I am unable to find what they are actually made of other than its a 2x2 weave, they were purchased from Australian Outdoor living if that helps and are called the Bella Vista.

Australian Outdoor Furniture’s specifications state that the open weave Bella Vista Outdoor blinds are PVC coated to minimise stains. If your blinds are like the image, then you would use the Type B Tear Aid.

I’m not sure if I need to purchase a patch or the strips. The tear is on canvas camper trailer and is diagonal and jagged, not a straight tear. Can Tear Aid be used to overlap on itself, therefore creating “a step like” repair?

Yes, Tear Aid can be overlapped successfully, providing you take care with each application to ensure that no air bubbles remain between the Tear Aid and the canvas and between the two layers of overlapped Tear Aid.

I have a constant airflow inflatable (vinyl) that is used in the swimming pool that needs repairs. Can you please tell me if your product is suitable for this type of equipment?

You would use Type B Tear Aid as it is specifically made for PVC and Vinyl repairs. Although Type B can be applied to a wet surface, it is best applied to a completely dry surface.  If there is any likelihood that the adhesive side of the patch will get wet, then it's best to apply the Tear Aid to both sides of the damage (where possible).

I live out in the bush where in summertime the temperature can be as high as 44°. Does Tear Aid work in hot climates? 

Temperature is not a factor as Tear Aid has a temperature range of -20°f (-29°c) to 160°f (71°c). So yes, you can use Tear Aid to repair in both extremely hot and extremely cold climates. 

My daughter has a pair of very expensive compression tights. They're almost new, only worn once and she managed to get a hole in them. Can Tear Aid fix the hole? Will the patch come off when I wash the tights? 

Compression tights are generally made of a Nylon and Lycra Elastane composite. Type A Tear Aid is recommended for all materials, other than PVC or Vinyl, which require Type B. There will be enough Tear Aid in our Type A Kit so you can put a patch on both sides of the hole. If you have followed the instructions when repairing the tights, the patch will not come off in the wash. 

Several years ago, I repaired a hole on the vinyl section of our Jaco pop top now looks a bit dirty around the edge of the patch. Is it possible to lift/remove the patch and replace it with a fresh Tear Aid patch?

Once Tear Aid is attached to material (of any sort) it cannot be removed. In our promotion of the product, we stress that careful application is required to achieve the proposed permanent and almost invisible repair to damaged goods. Tear Aid is a Pressure Sensitive Adhesive (PSA). By applying pressure to the patch, the adhesive is pressed onto the damaged area forming a permanent bond to that area. As the edges are soiled it suggests that the corners of the patch were not rounded, and insufficient pressure was applied during application. The edges being soiled also suggests that there is a gap between the edge of the Tear Aid and the section that is still attached to the hole where air and dust/grime have been able to enter. Try and remove the lifted dirty edges. With a small pair of sharp nail scissors cut as closely from the lifted edge to the part that is still attached. Once you have removed the dirty pieces of Tear Aid use the wipes to carefully clean the area around the area where you’ve just taken the edges off and very carefully over the top of the patch that’s still attached. Allow the cleaned area to dry completely. Cut the new patch with a very sharp pair of scissors, allowing at least 2.5cm each side of the remaining patch. Round off each corner of the new patch, this will reduce the incidence of lifting edges. Remove a small section of backing paper and start attaching the new patch, applying pressure as you go along – do not stretch the patch as you’re pressing it on – it should be completely flat. Go over the patch again with something hard, like a silicone roller, or the back of a dessert spoon, this will remove any remaining air bubbles that you may have missed the first time. Make sure you apply extra pressure (as much as possible) especially on the edges of the new patch and the entire area where the new patch is overlapping the old one. After you’ve completed the application that area should look clean, and the patch should be hard to detect and almost invisible. When it does look clean and almost invisible you can then leave it for 24 hours to set.

I have motorcycle pants that have a burn hole and also a slight tear in them. The product website indicates they are made of materials below. Would your patches be appropriate to cover over these damages? Outer shell material Polyester ripstop PWR|Shell 1000D Consisting of 100% high-performance polyamide yarns, PWR|Shell 1000D takes the best properties of a nylon with a high melting point, tremendous tear and abrasion-resistance, and excellent durability and then puts the unique REV’IT! design stamp on it. PowerShell provides high-performance protection for every rider.

You will need Type A to mend the damage on your pants. Type A can be used on most materials, including polyester blends. I would recommend you apply a patch to both sides of the damage for increased strength and permanency. Make sure you have a nice flat surface to work on and take your time – do not stretch the Tear Aid as you’re applying it on the damage. And press hard!!

I have a small hole in caravan annex, it’s made from PPS material (breathable shade cloth). Will Tear-Aid be able to fix it.

PPS (polyphenylene sulfide) is flame retardant and heat resistant making it ideal for shadecloths. It is a polymer therefore you’ll need Type A to repair the hole. The repair kit has 3 lengths in it which should be sufficient.

Our pool cover has a 16-inch tear near the edge, and I was wondering if your product could help. It is a saltwater pool, and the flat (non-bubbled) side of the cover is on the top, but it will still get wet (saltwater pool). I live in Sydney and the cover is blue.

If your pool cover is made from polyethylene vinyl acetate (PEVA) or polyvinyl acetate (PVA) or polyvinyl butyral (PVB) we recommend the use of Type A. If your pool cover is made from PVC (PVC usually has an extremely shiny surface) then we recommend the use of Type B. Type B is only to be used on polyvinyl chloride (PVC) materials. PVC is a thermoplastic made of 57% chlorine (derived from industrial grade salt) and 43% carbon (derived from oil or gas via ethylene). It is the chlorine that gives PVC its excellent fire resistance. Manufacturers may use both PVA together with PVC in the production of pool covers. These may have a PVA lining with a PVC overlay. Rule of thumb Andrew, when in doubt use Tear Aid Type A as it can successfully repair damaged surfaces 'on most materials'. The area surrounding the damage where you are applying Tear Aid needs to be thoroughly cleaned and dry (we provide the Romed Preps with the Tear Aid) and any loose fibres around the area neatly trimmed or tucked away. We recommend an allowance of at least 2.5cm either side of the damage. Also trim the square corners to a round shape, rounded off corners will reinforce the repair. Take your time preparing the surface area and do not rush the process of repairing as TearAid is permanent and will not come off once applied. The better the preparation, the better the result. Depending on the severity and location of the damage and whether it is likely to get wet, consider placing the Tear Aid on both sides of the damage. For a 40cm tear you will require 2 kits if you want to apply the repair tape to one side only (there will be some left over), or 3 kits of you want to apply to both sides, (which is recommended). It would be more economical for you to purchase one of the 7.6cm x 9m rolls - Type A or Type B rather than 3 kits.


Updated as of February 7th, 2024


If you have any questions, need information on our products, or require assistance in navigating or purchasing from our online store please call us on 1800 739 933, or use the contact form and we will do our best to respond to your enquiry as quickly as possible